Roger Slideshow

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The return of the fevers

They're baaaack! Yes, this past weekend Roger's temperature began to rise bit by bit and by Monday morning we knew we had to call the doctor. Roger had had chills and sweats during the night and his temp was up to 101.9 in the morning. So we went down to HUP and blood samples and cultures were taken. His white blood count was high enough, however, that he did not need to be admitted. We were sent home with a strong antibiotic and told that when the cultures matured if there was any indication of a serious infection, they would contact us.
Well, the call came Tuesday evening when we found out that the cultures showed that Roger had a blood infection and needed to be admitted to the hospital immediately so they could begin an antibiotic drip. So we headed down to the ER, which is a story in itself, which I do not have the time to recount. But the basic situation now is that Roger will remain in the hospital on IV antibiotics for at least 3-4 days while the lab examines the cultures and waits for them to fully mature. Once they can zero in on the particular bacterium causing the problems, Dr. Stadtmauer can better prescribe the exact anitbiotic to deal with it. He is not sure what may have caused this problem--it's pretty hard to be exact on these things at times--but some suspicion is falling on the PICC line that has sat in Roger's arm for many months, through which he receives transfusions and chemo and has blood drawn. Although we and the visiting nurses take great care with it, all it takes is one stray little bug.
So we wait and take hope in the knowledge that our great and loving Lord is in this with us and is mighty to save. We are learning deeper and deeper lessons in that "walking by faith and not by sight" dynamic. With a condition so continually in your face as cancer, as a Christian you are thrust into a daily/hourly/minute-ly deeper learning of what "putting off" fear and "putting on" faith looks like in each particular moment, in each particular situation. And our good and faithful God, who is closer than a brother, is there with His arm around us pointing us to Jesus and to hope.
Thank you so much for prayerfully walking alongside us through this learning experience.
Karen

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Karen, My heart and my prayers are with you. Roger's fevers and ER trip are all to familiar. I feel and understand your pain. You and Roger are in my prayers. Blessings, Christine Gohn

An Ami in Berlin said...

Dearest Karen and Roget,

Be assured of our prayers over here. I'm thankful to have the update and know how to pray specifically.

I had to smile at the idea of your creating a new blog and then someone finding it for you. :)

We love you!

Tom Taylor said...

Dear Roger and Karen,
As I undergo daily radiation for my PROSTATE CANCER, I meditate on these first few verses from Psalm 91:

As I dwell in the shelter of the Most High
I will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
2I will say of the Lord," You are my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust."

3Surely You will save me from the fowler's snare and from the deadly pestilence.
4You will cover me with Your feathers,
and under Your wings I will find refuge;
Your faithfulness will be My shield and rampart.

Many these powerful words be a comfort to your hearts today as you await further word from the medical staff.

Anne and I are praying for you and family.

In Jesus' love, Tom Taylor