Roger Slideshow

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Today was a hard day for my dad. He had a high fever during the day and his platelet count was still very low, so he received two bags of platelets. Due to my dad's repeated battles with fevers, the doctor decided to do a catscan to determine what might be causing the fevers.

The catscan came back positive for sinusitis. The "good" news is that one kind of sinusitis is a lot less serious than the other. Bacterial sinusitis is the less serious kind of sinusitis and may only require antibiotics. The "bad" news is that the other kind of sinusitis, Fungal sinusitis, is more serious than Bacterial sinusitis, and could require surgery. The doctor told my mom that if my dad has Fungal sinusitis, it is an emergency situation. At this time, we still do not know what kind of sinusitis my dad has.

So, the ear nose and throat doctor came to my dad's room tonight to see if he could determine what kind of sinusitis my dad has. He stuck a probe up my dad's nose, but because my dad has had repeated nosebleeds and the nose pack [technical term?] was in his nose before they did the probe, there was "crusting"in his sinuses and the doctor could not determine anything. Consequently, he decided to have my dad sleep in a vaporizing mist tent overnight to try and loosen up the dry patches, so that, come morning, he might be able to determine what kind of sinusitis my dad has.

Also, several patients in the cancer ward on the same floor that my dad is on, have the flu and because my mom has been spending virtually all of her time in the hospital, they are concerned about her contracting it and passing it on to dad. So, she is wearing a hospital gown and mask to prevent any kind of possible infection.

So, I guess you know how to pray - 1. that the vaporizing tent would loosen up the dried patches of blood so that the doctor can determine the kind of sinusitis, 2. that the sinusitis would be bacterial and not fungal, 3. that neither my mom or dad would contract the flu, 4. that if my dad does have fungal sinusitis, that the surgery would be successful and my dad would be sustained during it, and 5. that my parents would have a constant sense of peace from God as they anticipate this next cancer hurdle, and that we would know how to support and care for them in the best way, that would really be a blessing to them. Thanks for your support.

3 comments:

stillsmallpoint said...

Continuing to remember you (constantly) and pray. We love you.
Rick and Nancy

Cognitive Dissonance said...

Your family is in our prayers.

Eric

Daisy said...

I just talked to Susie and she said that they will be taking Dad to the ENT clinic this afternoon to try to determine what kind of sinusitis he has. He was also given platelets today in case he needs surgery.