Roger Slideshow

Friday, April 24, 2009

Down to HUP again

My dad is currently in the ER at HUP, waiting to get admitted. Early this afternoon my dad was having difficulty swallowing, and he started to choke and gag. In addition, he was experiencing some slight tremors. After my mom spoke with the nurse practitioner, it was decided that my dad needed to come to the ER at HUP to get admitted so that they can figure out what is causing this choking and gagging. The nurse practitioner told my mom that it is possible that the cancer is now affecting my dad's spine or spinal fluid, and nervous system. To determine if and what is affecting my dad's spine, they need to do an MRI and some other tests. The nurse practioner told my mom that this is not uncommon and that if the tests confirm that the cancer is affecting my dad's spine, they are able to treat the spot on the spine directly with chemo. In addition to the choking, gagging, and tremors, my dad has had some periods of disorientation as well.

Please pray that my dad would get admitted to a room soon, and that the doctors would be able to run these tests and be able to determine, with real clarity, what is causing the choking and gagging for my dad, and, how to to treat it. Please also pray for stamina and strength for my dad as he undergoes these various tests, and for faith for him and my mom, and our entire family, as we walk through this valley.

We also received the news on the biopsy of my dad's liver today. The results came back positive for cancer in my dad's liver. While this is hard news to hear, we are thankful that the test results are clear and we can go in a new direction to fight this cancer. Hopefully, my dad will qualify for a clinical trial of a new chemo, since the chemo he is on is no longer working against the cancer.

More later, as we receive news. Thanks for praying!

No comments: