Roger Slideshow

Monday, April 27, 2009

I just wanted to say thanks to Becky Wilson for her encouraging comment last night about Dad's likely ability to hear us and to sense our presence, even when he is unable to speak or even to respond clearly. We had a powerful confirmation of this this morning when, after we had heard the bad news, Dad had a period of about two hours of relative alertness and responsiveness. It started about when Dr. Stadtmauer came in and was able to rouse Dad right away by saying once, directly, "Roger." The other three of us were completely surprised, because the doctor yesterday was unable to get Dad to come around, even by speaking much louder and applying several firm pats and shakes to Dad's body. But right away Dad opened his eyes and looked directly and for about a minute at Dr. Stadtmauer, squeezed his hand, and murmured, as if to acknowledge and thank him for everything they've shared over the past 6 years.

Shortly after Dr. Stadtmauer said good-bye to Dad, Dad was looking at us in a way he hadn't in days--his eyes still foggy and not quite focused, yet actually seeing--looking at us--and his murmurs and groans were expressive, and not merely the monotone, seemingly unconscious sounds of pain, discomfort or confusion that we'd become accustomed to hearing from him. We raised the bed to a sitting position, and Christine and I were able to talk to him on our own, and he was reaching out to us, and hearing and watching us, and murmuring in response. It was difficult to see him trying to talk and incapable of finding speech, but at the same time we were talking to him, telling him we loved him and knew that he loved us, and that we knew what he wanted to say--and hoping that we did. And Mom came around the bed, and he perked up still more, and tried feebly to reach out, so she hugged him and I put his reaching arm around her and held it there. And he tried to speak, and she kissed him, and held his head, and prayed with him and cried and told her she loved him, and that it would all be alright, that Jesus was near, and he was crying too, crying sounds but no tears. It was all a terrible, beautiful moment of shared pain, and love, and mutual comfort.

13 comments:

Becky Wilson said...

Please kiss his dear head and tell him for us that his whole New Life family loves him. We are crowded around his bed now, watching and praying for him and all of you.

Anonymous said...

God bless you all, dear Clark family. We love you and are praying for you.
Al, Rose, Ben, Luke, Emma and Olivia

Unknown said...

all of new life echoes what becky has said.

judi

words and streets said...

we weep with you tonight. we will continue to pray and we honor you tonight, roger. you, simply who you are and how you have lived, are an inspiration to me, to us all.
we love you, clarks.
allie for the stryds

Karen C Schoch said...

I am so thankful the children can all be there with Karen to comfort one another and be with Roger as he prepares for his home going. We love you and are standing with you in prayer.

Anonymous said...

I remember dinners at your house with devotions following. Our family gathered after dinner tonight and prayed for all of you.

Much love,
Eric, Nanette, Vitia & Svieta.

Anonymous said...

Tonight I am reminded of a children's song that Hudson and I sometimes sing. The 3rd verse says: "O if there's only one song I shall sing, when in His beauty I see the great King. This shall my song in eternity be, O what a wonder that Jesus loves me...
I am so glad that Jesus loves me, Jesus loves me, Jesus loves me. I am so glad that Jesus loves me, Jesus loves even me."

Praying that these words-"Jesus loves me"- such a precious promise, would bring sweet comfort during this time.

Love,
Katrina, Andrew, Hudson and Evelyn

Jason and Kristine Stryd said...

"Behold I tell you a mystery. We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet... When the mortal puts on immortality then shall come to pass what is written "Death is swallowed up in victory, O death where is your victory, O death where is your sting.. But thanks be to God who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. (1 Corinthians 15)
We are praying for you, that our Jesus would bring quiet assurance amidst the sorrow.

love
Jason and Kristine

Alasdair said...

It is very sweet to read your words in this moment, and to see the encouragements and grief sharing of this community. I remember the sheer weight on the heart of so much sorrow, so many tears, so much loving support and such hope in faith. I pray very simply that the Lord may be as close to you and carry you all as he carried my dad 2 years ago, and carried our family then and still. He is faithful. And our coming home is deeply precious in his sight (ps. 116:15).

May these last times with him be blessed.
Love you guys,
Alasdair (and Lauren and all the Groves)

Anonymous said...

You are in our prayers...I pray for peace and comfort alongside of the deep sorrow that you all must have.I will also pray for moments of understanding for Roger, it so matters that you are all there with him, speaking words of love and hope.
Grace for Michael, Brigitta, Christian, Jacob and Emmaline Good

Unknown said...

Praying from afar for your wonderful family. You are especially near and dear to my heart since I sat at my own dad's bedside in Feb while he slipped away on hospice care. He had some lucid moments, some sudden smiles of recognition, etc which would cause such joy and also agony (agony in that I started second-guessing our decision to just let him go to Jesus.) I was so torn in my desire to have him still be here with us, that I had to fight to believe that true love would let him be free of his suffering and enjoying the presence of God. My mom died suddenly years ago and I must say that there is such a difference in my grieving. I got to say good-bye and we sent Dad into the arms of Jesus surrounded by love, beautiful music, pain medicine, etc - that is a true gift in this world of sin. We all want more time with Roger - but we'll have that one day! With love - and with many thanks for sharing your intimate moments with us via the blog, Bev Fitzpatrick

tina d said...

We love you so dearly...the angels are in that room mingling with the saints. Maranatha...come Lord Jesus come!
Heaven seems so close. I can almost hear the sounds...I hear the sounds of your prayers over our newborn kids, each and everyone was prayed for by you... Roger...I sense the tender gift of thoughtful compassionate attention you have used to bathe my soul with many times. I can almost hear the sounds of things I have never heard before...the wishing for them, the missing of things never yet had. This is a place where heaven and the 'here' meet...you are so beautifuly radiant...
Sorrowful,
broken,
grateful prayers pouring out from this home for all of you...

Tina for all of us DeMosses

Penny said...

it was good to kiss your head today and whisper gentle words of sisterly love in your ear. I pray your children and wife are able to feel God's presence in the room when you leave. We love you so and will surround your wife and loved ones. Roger you are a man who has loved me well. I have loved being in mini-church these past 3 years. Celebrating the completion of my doctorate by feasting in your backyard (with Mimosas) is a picture of a BANQUET that I look forward to attending and feasting with you some day. Fly to Jesus Roger. Fly to Jesus