Roger Slideshow

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

A friend's perspective

Andrew asked me to share my perspective on Roger's last day here on earth. Here are a few of my thoughts:

I will never forget yesterday. For 10 hours I hung out in Roger's room as we walked my dear brother most of the last mile in his six year fight with the Unwanted Visitor that ended my wife Nancy's life last year.

It was agonizing. Once more I heard the labored, crackling noises that a person utters in their last hours of breathing. I remembered our nine month battle with cancer. I remembered the many miles we have walked with Roger and Karen since they welcomed us home from Ireland in 1992. I ached for the hours of grieving Karen was to face. And once more my soul raged against the insult of death.

It was glorious. I saw the fruit of this humble, loving man as friends, relatives and even a former student from Africa came to say farewell. The day was thus filled with stories, songs, scriptures and sobs. Roger was dying surrounded by those he had loved and served. God led me to share many scriptures during that watch, including passages from Psalm 48 and 142 that had been impressed upon me during the passing of others whom I deeply loved. Such a departure affirms the truth of the gospel. It also contrasted vividly with the other death occurring on the ward yesterday. We were walking Roger toward the Light, the other family was shrouded in dark gloom.

I left the hospice at 9:30. Karen wanted quiet time with her best friend by then. That was only fitting. So, I left her there with Roger and three of the kids. Yet, I am thankful that he let me help Roger take the final steps. You see, when Jesus came for Roger just a couple of hours later, a friend and I were praying for the race to end.


Again, that was fitting, we can walk one another to the Door, but in the end HE opens it for the fortunate one who is taken Home. Well done, good and faithful servant. You ran a good race. As my daughter KJ said, "he is with my mommy." --and many others who loved him. Most importantly Roger sees the face of the One who loved him best of all. Roger, thanks for helping blaze the trail for us to follow in His good time.

Dan Macha
Neighbor, Fellow New Life Elder, and Brother in Christ

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

When we heard of Roger's homecoming this morning, we gathered the family to thank God for his life, his love to our family (especially in visiting our home to pray for Tori Joy), and to celebrate that he is not in pain anymore. His life is a reminder and encouragement to us too to live each day as unto Him...and in the shadow of the Easter season, we were reminded also of Jesus' conquering sin & death so that Roger, and all of us, have a real hope and secure future! "In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am" (John 14:2-3). We love you, Clark Family & will continue to pray for you in the days ahead.

Anonymous said...

Sorry I forgot to sign the previous post (at 1226pm)...LOVE, from Tim & Tina DeMoss + 4

Becky Wilson said...

Every Labor Day, Jack and I were invited, with other teachers and interested people, to pray in the new school year with Roger and Karen. I remember the first of many welcomes, stepping into a home full of beauty and creativity and light. It was a healing place, an engaging place. The many family pictures testified to their love for every single member of their family, and the other pictures showed how many people in their lives knew and loved them. So many!

I remember greeting fellow teachers as we filled our plates and topped off our cups of coffee. And then, then we joined in the living room, on every available seat, in one unified circle, to introduce ourselves, describe what we were expecting in the new year, and to pray together. Roger had his notebook settled on his knee and he noted each of us by name and any pertinent details. It felt good to have my name in his book and to know he and Karen would be praying. By example he showed us the power of prayer, that all the lesson plans in the world, all the room arrangements, all the training and degrees and experience, don't mean much unless the Lord bless the year. This is just one of a number of precious memories I have of him/them.

Another was stopping by one evening with a simple meal, and being impressed with the sincere way in which both Roger and Karen stopped what they were doing to sit with me, ask after my family, and in general refresh me. They were tired, you could see it in their faces, and yet they were hopeful, and pointed me to Christ in their conversation. It was holy ground. God showed me how faith intersects with life, the nitty gritty of life, during that conversation.

We join Tim and Tina and the whole church family in committing to pray for you and your family.

Anonymous said...

We prayedfor you in Women's Bible Study this morning. We join you in your sorrow and joy. You will remain in our prayers.
Grace Good